Scrap

New Remington 870 Tactical

I had typed out an almost complete message that I deleted... Well.. what the heck, I'll do it again.

I recently got a nice chunk of 5-figure-change and went to spend some money on guns... the two Rt. 130 shops didn't want to do anything but their usual nothingness... I am pretty sure I embarrassed one of the jackaces at Cheyenne who ignored me until I took out a bank-banded-bundle of $5000 ... and while holding it up suddenly my 15 minute ignored wait was greeted with "OH YOU'RE NOT JUST LOOKING!!!". They lost my business when he made it known he had other Mossberg and Remington shotguns in the back but he wanted to know if I was buying one before he went back and looked, or was I just looking and trying to take up some time. ..... ???

Other place didn't even acknowledge me. so I took my money to Dick's Sporting Goods and came out with an 870 Tactical by Remington.

You can check out the specs I'm sure everyone knows what they come with... I added the Magpul SGA Stock and Forend for the Remington 870... Also added the Forend Sling Mount *AND* An additional pushbutton sling swivel which makes all the difference... I added the SGA Receiver Sling Mount in the rear. Having the Forend Sling Mount and Receiver Sling Mount on one side, then the Sling Swivel on the other side + the stock's sling strap mount area.... it lets me use say my Magpul MS2 sling in a single point and two point configuration (JUST LIKE a 15-22 for example but you gotta watch your nuts) OR it lets me use...

The Larry Vickers Blue Force Gear 'Combat Applications ' sling... AWESOME.idea awesome rigging up. I tightening it up properly, rigged it nice, and it has an amazing quick-adjust so you can quickly adjust from say carrying up front to combat, carrying long-term across the back to tactical-presentation up front etc.

I was going to add an Aimpoint Micro on this like my M930SPX which makes all the difference, but I want this one to be a lean mean metal machine... it is my 'backup shotgun' and don't want to worry about scratches/dings/dents/etc.

And I actually wanted a M590A1 as I had said, CMO didn't really have the inclination to assist me.... and they had a few 590s/500s/etc.but not the exact one I wanted. Sportsmans had a Benelli Nova Tac whcih I wanted a Supernova Tac but might have bought it if they had helped me.

next up is maybe a Krebs or Atlantic Vepr / perhaps a Savage/Rem .308 'sniper'.

rem870tacticalmagpulcus.jpg

The thing with the 887 is , according to some guy who is basically one of the nations if not worlds expert Remington shotgun guy, and he posts on a few of the bigger gun forums, (TERRIBLY egotistical and rude guy but apparently he is the real deal as an 870/1187 gunsmith) - the Remington 870 is the same shotgun across the board. The 870 "express" like I have is basically made with an inferior finish, and about $30 parts less, than say the Police model and with inferior finish and furniture to the Wingmaster models (which are beautiful of course.) OTher than that an 870 is an 870 is an 870 and the 10s of millions out there proves its veracity and ability / durability of the model. THE 887 IS NOT an 870, and during one post he explained how different the 887 was internally etc. and showed the amounts of different parts in the parts lists etc. Now some people would say. "Well sure its the upgraded model!! " But in this case that is not a good thing. So for ME, the 887 was never an option. a 590A1 was and still is but I want a particular one or two models of the 590A1 and would not compromise, CMO had a few 590s and one 590A1 but I did not want to spend $650 on something i did not really like.

CageFighter I know EXACTLY how you feel, this is my first time posting on here in over a year , there somewhere is an epic thread where I expressed my concern with a previous trip to CMO etc. and was basically told in three pages, by a lot of posters., "Well you must be doing something wrong because they are nice to me.". Well, wht else do you want me to do, I had 5 figures worth of cash to go blow on toys, and no one wanted to help me , so no offense, cash holding customers get a little leeway and after you ignore me long enough Im out! I just wanted to buy something RIGHT THEN AND THERE so I wound up at Dicks, and could not be happier.

I forgot to mention, I also bought the Magpul buttstock recoil pad adapter and a LimbSaver, and it not only installs in seconds and goes together in a jiffy, to absolutely MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE.... I mean it is like a GLOVE and it works so well, I could not see NOT having one after the LimbSaver revolutionized how my M930SPX feels and shoots. Now I have two absolutely awesome, top of the line combat shotguns, and I have made my custom mods etc. (Aimpoint Micro/LimbSaver/sling/etc. on the M930SPX, full on customizing of the 870) ... Im telling you, I was anti 870 for a few years because they were so popular, now I am totally happy with mine.

The 887 vs. the 870 can't be compared because they are two completely different designs. Only time will tell if the 887 does as well as the 870.

You don't need an egotistical gunsmith to spell out the major differences between the 870 Express and the 870 Wingmaster or 870 Police. The differences are well known. A blind man can tell the difference between them.

The following document was from the RemingtonMilitary.com website. It's since been removed. I posted on Acrobat Workspaces for anyone who wants to view it.

https://workspaces.a...pwzqhC5yjBtyZSA

Uhh... thanks? Anyway, James, as that wasn't really part of the question, all I can say is I am more than completely satisfied with having an 870 and would not buy nor own an 887... if gifted I would sell or trade.

But I am extremely exponentially extraordinarily happy with the results of this 870 project and am proud as puppypapa as well.

Uhh... thanks? Anyway, James, as that wasn't really part of the question, all I can say is I am more than completely satisfied with having an 870 and would not buy nor own an 887... if gifted I would sell or trade.

But I am extremely exponentially extraordinarily happy with the results of this 870 project and am proud as puppypapa as well.

I'm hearing the same sorts of things :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I'm hearing the same sorts of things :-) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

No problem bro, not that you are looking to do any exact copy of my Big Hossman Bassman ... but I would be happy to snap some better pictures if you want/need and tell you my exact pieces and upgrades.

I am also seriously considering doing the 'upgrades' of parts to make it equivalent to the 870P and maybe even, what I REALLY want, is to have it parkerized!!!

\

Again for some reason I had typed out the entire message and I hit a button which went "Back" in the browser and lost all my text.

Well I took this out to the range on Sunday, ... I don't want to say I broke it in because that process is just beginning. But I hit up Ready Aim Fire, and was surprisingly not packed and got the end all to myself.. a few kids I thought would be problems were next to me right after I started But I really hadn't a problem with them. they were really mesmerized by the equipment I brought out to make boombooms with.

So I started out following my strictly believed proper procedure of 'breaking in' shotguns with 00 Buck... no frills just full power.. I believe I used two boxes of 15 round 'value packs' Winchester SuperX 2 3/4 00 Buck... This is the buckshot I buy for breaking in , blasting buck at the range, and storing up at home for SHTF... Again nothing fancy, no frills, simply pure power in 2 3/4 00 Buckshot. After running the two boxes through , I switched to Federal Value Pack multipurpose loads (7 1/2 birdshot) ...I only brought a few boxes of 25. I accidentially bought a 100 rd 20 gauge and so couldn't shoot that, and accidentially left the boxes of shot I pulled out of my shell storage at home..so I shot 25 through my new 870, and the previous 30 boxshots, and I had saved a 15 rd 00 Buck and 25rd birdshot pack for my M930SPX.. so I had so much fun with the 870 I went back to buy shells from the range... they charged my 14.50 for the EXACT SAME Federal multipurpose target/game birdshot 25 round boxes that the Walmart 1 mile up the road sells, in 100 rd boxes, for 20-25 depending on sale. So I couldn't keep wasting cash I only took one box... So I guess that makes 50 birdshots, 30 or so bucks, and a few random shells I had in my range bag. and boy oh boy!

The 870 Tactical is amazing. The Magpul SGA 870 Stock is the best shotgun stock you could ask for, the forend is also awesome. I am not using the Forend for anything yet, no connections or attachments .. so it's awesome but I believe I would be fulfilling its full use if and when I add a Streamlight on one side, a Lasermax Genesis green laser on the other side, and maybe an AFG on the botton... .. Anyway the shotgun is amazing. Its wearing a Blue Force Vickers Combat Applications Sling right now and its doing great... (I added the Magpul Sling Forend which is like a barrel / extension clamp... with a sling attachment point on one side, a spot for adding (which I did) a QD Sling Swivel on th other side, and in the rear I added a Magpul Receiver Sling Mount which is like a shotgun single point sling catch point, sort of like the ASAP end plate for ARs but it doesn't swivel) ... I will most likely buy a new MS3 sling and decide to reconfigure my sling mounting system but right now I could not be happier...

I am also wondering, is it true if I rack and rerack /pump and dry fire etc. the 870 and just keep working the action in my free time it will continue to break in and smooth out etc.? I have been doing that but really don't know if I am making any progress.

So highly highly recommendd .. While I love doing the configurations and customizations myself , I could see the Remington 870 Tactical Magpul becoming one of if not the best selling / highest requested shotgun... I got the black but they have Flat Dark Earth (Which would look awesome with the 870 Desert Recon discontinued model) and I believe they have Orange which I surmise is designed for less than lethal / police shotguns for beanbag rounds / rubber bullets / tear gas canisters ... but I bet the Orange and the Marine Magnun would look great together.

img2090g.jpg

img2089r.jpg

img2088r.jpg

img2095z.jpg

img2094u.jpg

img2093rd.jpg

img2092kp.jpg

Nice pics and writeup, Scrap. I have the Magpul kit (in FDE) incoming for my 870, and am that much more looking forward to it. I'm intrigued by the stock because I always prefer shorter stocks as I have shorter arms, but like the flexibility that the Magpul stock offers with the spacers. Also a huge fan of the forend's design with an inherent hand stop, and ability to slap rails on for cost-effective and efficient light mounting solutions. Looks great though to see it up-close via your pics, thanks.

Thanks to both of you gents. Deni I didn't even know they made it out of the box until I bought all the stuff and then saw it on a 2012 Shot Show Youtube video.. and figured, oh well... working on the guns is always good for you imho, I am certainly no gunsmith so forcing me to hands on sometimes is a benefit.

bbk I appreciate your words too, if I love customizing guns (Magpul baby! lol) I certainly like writing about them. I am sure you will love the Magpul stock, I am also a short guy with short arms and I could not be happier with this, the handle is PERFECT, it gives you perfect shoulder contour but also almost a pistol grip like handle. I also added the LimbSaver add on and it was the best idea, I just could not shoot a shotgun without a limbsaver, and it should just be stock at this point.

Just also two things, lol, the gun looks a little spotted like a leopard in the pics, its just oil from being wiped down.. I had been wiping it down regularly with Remington wipes which deposits that film of dry lube on it, then I had just opened up a container of Hoppe's oil wipes which has very light amount of real gun oil , which means the wipes don't last very long but its real oil they leave, and the result is a reflection on the camera that looks odd, perfectly good and normal but looks wierd under 12 megapixels and flash.

And lol, two seconds after this the sling fell off and I could not figure out what I did wrong, until i realized i had a lemon, I compare the sling to the website and I'm missing parts lol. So I have to send it back to MidwayUSA. Doh. But I had loved it, the good news is I had installed all the Magpul sling connection points ( but was not using them with this sling) AND I have a Magpul MS2 sling I had been using first on my Bushmaster 556 which was heavily Magpul'd , and now I have on my 15-22 (equally hooked up, got more Magpul and accessories than the cost of the 15-22 on it) so I am not missing a beat by using the sling points and Ms2. its just a single point sling is GREAT for holding the sling but not so great when you let it go, watch your family jewels!