DirtyDigz

WW2 STG44 turned in at Hartford, CT gun buyback

Just...wow. Kudos on the Hartford police for allowing the owner to sell it, instead of just accepting it and melting it down:

http://www.necn.com/12/08/12/WW2-weapon-turned-in-during-gun-buy-back/landing.html?blockID=811359&feedID=11106

Police officers in Connecticut received one very unusual weapon during a gun buy-back program last week -- the gun was from World War II and is worth over $30,000.

All sorts of guns were turned in at the gun buy-back event in Hartford last Saturday, but one weapon caught the eyes of officers.

"The chance to see a piece of history -- this … is absolutely unbelievable,” said Officer Lewis Crabtree of the Hartford Police Dept.

That's because the weapon turned in is a World War II-era assault rifle used by the Germans.

"Usually, this rifle would be issued to SS troops,” said Officer John Cavanna of the Hartford Police.

Cavanna is a gun historian.

One woman turned in the weapon, unaware of how much it was worth.

“In excellent condition, this gun is rated at $30,000 to $40,000,” Cavanna said. ...

That is great that the Police let her sell it somewhere. I'm not sure how she gets past not registering it, but regardless I'm really happy to hear one less awesome gun is being destroyed.

That is great that the Police let her sell it somewhere. I'm not sure how she gets past not registering it, but regardless I'm really happy to hear one less awesome gun is being destroyed.

It sounds like it was a legit papered or amnesty registered bring back.If it wasn't they wouldn't give it back to her to sell.If the previous owner is dead she would not be the legal owner unless it was willed to her. They also over quoted the estimated price by almost 2 times the real value.

This is just further proof (some of us never needed any to begin with, we see it every day when we speak to our hero family member officers)

Some of us knew this for the past 31-32 years and all of our lives, ---- and we're damn proud to be served by the Finest and these guys just continue the finest traditions of the blue uniform, not only by PROTECTING but by SERVING as well.. serving this member of the community to the tune of what was it, $30G's ? because these officers chose not to bamboozle . Good on em.

^^^ Further proof there are great cops out there that is, sorry needed to clarify

No doubt, unfortunately we rarely hear about these types of situations. Look at LT. David Schlueter, he seems like a stand up guy, tried to do the right thing and got resoundly slapped for it sadly.

Does anyone know what happened to the SSD STG-44 Clone I.O. was talking about importing a few years ago? Did that ever happen?

Yes around 200 came in then are selling for $6500 and up when you can find one.They were also very problematic as well. ATI/GSG came out with a .22lr version this year. The NJ version just came out int the last week or so. I am picking mine up this week.

Yes around 200 came in then are selling for $6500 and up when you can find one.They were also very problematic as well. ATI/GSG came out with a .22lr version this year. The NJ version just came out int the last week or so. I am picking mine up this week.

Thank you sir, this reminded me I never heard anything after all the delays. $6500 is a bit pricey and I can only imagine the price of the ammo.

The numbers I heard were 140 or 150 pieces before the ATF stopped them from being imported. PTR and Recon Ordnance had them for $5000 but are sold out. Now they are going for $6500, and yes the mags sell for $150 or so.

No doubt, unfortunately we rarely hear about these types of situations. Look at LT. David Schlueter, he seems like a stand up guy, tried to do the right thing and got resoundly slapped for it sadly.

You're sounding like you're pro-Police which is great and unfortunately not very popular these days or really ever. Growing up I was called a piglet, snitch, rat, etc. simply for being my Dad's son, and it made me so proud of him and proud to have a family member a police officer I would have it no other way.

I was not familiar with the gentleman Lt you mentioned, I did a brief Google and remember there was some sort of big ruckus over those M1 Carbines... I don't remember exactly, was it that they said the new one copy was good to go and then once everyone got theirs they said No Go you're all felons? I don't know what or how the Lt guy fit in..

I will say I remember how everyone on this board told me the NJSP would *NEVER* give me opinions on legality/illegality of guns or accessories or situations involving guns etc.. And I said I think they will ,my Dad is a retired Captain of some recognition, if you're nice to them they're generally nice to you (That goes for all police officers in my humble opinion) and the smart guys on here told me basically, the cops would tell me they're sorry for my Dad to have raised such an idiot son that should know better to call them asking for opinions on the laws of guns here etc. Which would turn out to be as far from reality as possible. Every time I've called and asked them questions they have been downright cordial and accommodating as possible... When I got my M930SPX in early early 2010 and called them after I was told it was illegal, they were downright awesome...One guy yelled to the other guy how "Hey this guy got that awesome shotgun of the year somehow!!" and told me how the magazine capacity was indeed out of the law so I needed to change it ASAP and not go showing it off until I did etc. etc. and even said I was lucky there would be jealousy about it (And how.)

I called a few other times about what they considered to be pinned stocks and pinned magazines and permanent vs modified temporarily etc. and while they usually always say they aren't really giving me legal advice/decisions and they won't be the guys I would encounter "in the field" anyway, they've Always seemed nice to me.

Some people made up their mind all cops are certain ways/things/people a long time ago, and to those I don't say a blessed thing.. there isn't a point. Sometimes the best way to convince someone they're wrong is to let them have it their own way.

You're sounding like you're pro-Police which is great and unfortunately not very popular these days or really ever. Growing up I was called a piglet, snitch, rat, etc. simply for being my Dad's son, and it made me so proud of him and proud to have a family member a police officer I would have it no other way.

I was not familiar with the gentleman Lt you mentioned, I did a brief Google and remember there was some sort of big ruckus over those M1 Carbines... I don't remember exactly, was it that they said the new one copy was good to go and then once everyone got theirs they said No Go you're all felons? I don't know what or how the Lt guy fit in..

I will say I remember how everyone on this board told me the NJSP would *NEVER* give me opinions on legality/illegality of guns or accessories or situations involving guns etc.. And I said I think they will ,my Dad is a retired Captain of some recognition, if you're nice to them they're generally nice to you (That goes for all police officers in my humble opinion) and the smart guys on here told me basically, the cops would tell me they're sorry for my Dad to have raised such an idiot son that should know better to call them asking for opinions on the laws of guns here etc. Which would turn out to be as far from reality as possible. Every time I've called and asked them questions they have been downright cordial and accommodating as possible... When I got my M930SPX in early early 2010 and called them after I was told it was illegal, they were downright awesome...One guy yelled to the other guy how "Hey this guy got that awesome shotgun of the year somehow!!" and told me how the magazine capacity was indeed out of the law so I needed to change it ASAP and not go showing it off until I did etc. etc. and even said I was lucky there would be jealousy about it (And how.)

I called a few other times about what they considered to be pinned stocks and pinned magazines and permanent vs modified temporarily etc. and while they usually always say they aren't really giving me legal advice/decisions and they won't be the guys I would encounter "in the field" anyway, they've Always seemed nice to me.

Some people made up their mind all cops are certain ways/things/people a long time ago, and to those I don't say a blessed thing.. there isn't a point. Sometimes the best way to convince someone they're wrong is to let them have it their own way.

Here is the deal with me, you've read my posts before about this subject, I'm very libertarian in my thoughts about how our government should function, you know, limited in size and scope like the Constitution outlined. I'm also old enough to remember the "community policing" mentality and highly respect the few old guys that remain and those that chose to follow in their footsteps, much in the way this story unfolded. What I have no respet for are those of the new "law enforcement" mindset that that began to surface in the 80s, that find everyone but other LEOs suspect and demand respect because they have a badge rather than earn respect because they are one of the good guys. You know the ones that do what they are told regardless of if they should because their pensions are more important than you rights. I find those types repugnant and believe they are the epitome of everything our Constitution was supposed to prevent our government from becoming. I find a lot of the older guys that retired in the 70s, 80s and 90s tend to have the same opinion of the type. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, this will continue as long as those that enforce the laws are only held accountable by those that write the laws rather than those that are subject to those laws. I'm sure the "you're ant-cop" crowd will be out any minute to chide, hiss and try to provoke me again but sometimes the truth hurts I guess. Truth is I'm not "anti-cop" and I'm certainly not an LEO ra-ra; I'd say I'm more of a just don't be a douche-bag on my dime and we'll all get along fine kind of guy.

Link me?

Damned I lost my post again... Anyway I was gonna say ,you're right, there are bad cops, terrible cops, and downrigth criminal cops.. all over the country.

BUT there are terrible people and downright criminals or scum of tghe earth all over the place and in all types of fields, from electricians to school teachers and doctors/lawyers/ walmart workers / wine sommeliers and everywhere in between.

People tend to blindly label cops because they might have got a ticket tyhey feel wasn't fair , whether it was fair ort not. and they make no mention of other ppl they didnt get treated right by in a worse way etc.

Anyway I stopped trying to defend my Dad's profession (Cops in general) aftr my early 20's,. college was a constant battle even with my bestest friends (Fraternity brothers who I loved, they loved me, but did not see eye-to-eye because they got in trouble before or lvoed to blast "F Te Police' when they knew it steamed me up nbig time.

and then I realized two things- Trying to defend cops to people who have already made up their mind is stupid. You just can't. This very gun forum community is a perfect example of thew microcosm of society, i see particular people over and over and over say things that are opinionated, wrong, completely falsr, completely their opinion, ertc. Everything from \"Bushmaster Sux: becase Arfcom etc. says so, the battle going on i stepped into on a diff. subforum about Midlength vs .Carbine,. 10/22s are the best every 597s suck. the list goes on and on and on... and this is just NJ Gun Forum. you njust CANNOT change am ind already made up, facts just make them madder.

Conversely, *wanting* to fight about these things and change the minds etc. make you just as bad as thrm. At best, you're immature (not in a negative way, as in not Matured to the ways of the interwebz or world) at words its narcaissim thinking YOU will be the one to change the opininos and brain cells where no one else could.

As far as police and convicing ppl their errors, the best way I heard it put is this: When YOUR Mom (not YOU I mean you being the person out there saying the randon bad things, just Johhny Bravo Example A) is calling 911 becasue her door is beng kicked in, when YOUR dAUGhter has been raped coming home froma party ort YOUR Sister has been beaten by a Boyfriend/ Fiance / Ex Husband / Current Husband etc.-- Even when yoir hous e has nbeen completely robbed and ransacked and you are scared sheitless theyh could be back _ The cops you dialed 911 for can't get their fast enough, have become your best firends and your confidants and your heros in Blue armor and Steel Shields , .... They can't get their fast eno0ugh and can't do their jobs good enough. I've seen it and heard it over and over and it ain't gonna change anyyime soon.

Link me?

http://www.americant...109/detail.html The 25 round mag version has been out since July. The 10 round version was just relased in the last week or so. I ordered 2 mags from ATI the day they became out. They sold out in less then a day. You will probably have a hard time getting one for a least a few weeks.The FFL i got mine from only was able to get 3. I am picking up my rifle on Friday when another rifle I purchased comes into the dealer.

http://www.americant...109/detail.html The 25 round mag version has been out since July. The 10 round version was just relased in the last week or so. I ordered 2 mags from ATI the day they became out. They sold out in less then a day. You will probably have a hard time getting one for a least a few weeks.The FFL i got mine from only was able to get 3. I am picking up my rifle on Friday when another rifle I purchased comes into the dealer.

Pretty flipping sweet, gotta add that to the want list.

Damned I lost my post again... Anyway I was gonna say ,you're right, there are bad cops, terrible cops, and downrigth criminal cops.. all over the country.

BUT there are terrible people and downright criminals or scum of tghe earth all over the place and in all types of fields, from electricians to school teachers and doctors/lawyers/ walmart workers / wine sommeliers and everywhere in between.

People tend to blindly label cops because they might have got a ticket tyhey feel wasn't fair , whether it was fair ort not. and they make no mention of other ppl they didnt get treated right by in a worse way etc.

Anyway I stopped trying to defend my Dad's profession (Cops in general) aftr my early 20's,. college was a constant battle even with my bestest friends (Fraternity brothers who I loved, they loved me, but did not see eye-to-eye because they got in trouble before or lvoed to blast "F Te Police' when they knew it steamed me up nbig time.

and then I realized two things- Trying to defend cops to people who have already made up their mind is stupid. You just can't. This very gun forum community is a perfect example of thew microcosm of society, i see particular people over and over and over say things that are opinionated, wrong, completely falsr, completely their opinion, ertc. Everything from \"Bushmaster Sux: becase Arfcom etc. says so, the battle going on i stepped into on a diff. subforum about Midlength vs .Carbine,. 10/22s are the best every 597s suck. the list goes on and on and on... and this is just NJ Gun Forum. you njust CANNOT change am ind already made up, facts just make them madder.

Conversely, *wanting* to fight about these things and change the minds etc. make you just as bad as thrm. At best, you're immature (not in a negative way, as in not Matured to the ways of the interwebz or world) at words its narcaissim thinking YOU will be the one to change the opininos and brain cells where no one else could.

As far as police and convicing ppl their errors, the best way I heard it put is this: When YOUR Mom (not YOU I mean you being the person out there saying the randon bad things, just Johhny Bravo Example A) is calling 911 becasue her door is beng kicked in, when YOUR dAUGhter has been raped coming home froma party ort YOUR Sister has been beaten by a Boyfriend/ Fiance / Ex Husband / Current Husband etc.-- Even when yoir hous e has nbeen completely robbed and ransacked and you are scared sheitless theyh could be back _ The cops you dialed 911 for can't get their fast enough, have become your best firends and your confidants and your heros in Blue armor and Steel Shields , .... They can't get their fast eno0ugh and can't do their jobs good enough. I've seen it and heard it over and over and it ain't gonna change anyyime soon.

I agree with most of your comment, there are good and bad in all aspects of society, the bad tend to get the exposure and tarnish the perception of the whole. All I ask is don't defend the bad because you support the whole it invalidates your position. Gun ownership is a prime example, we take the heat for the few that abuse guns but we police ourselves and call the ass-hats out that do stupid things. All I have ever asked is for the same standards to be applied by the those that take an oath, just do the right thing and hold your peers to the same standards you hold others, no more no less.

Absolutely right and don't worry i would never defend all even tho there are notable bad.

Being educated and/or intelligent in this world means being able to accept those facts and circumstances that aren't favorable to you, your position, or beliefs, but are facts nonetheless. The immature, uneducated, or non inteilligent, are those who insist on holding to what they want to be real despite evidence to the contrary.