NJScott

Shooting in Oregon Mall

Two reported dead in mall shooting. updates for the last 30 mins following.

http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2012/12/clackamas_town_center_shooting.html

"Two people were killed and at least one other was shot by at Clackamas Town Center by a man brandishing a semiautomatic rifle, according to police reports.

Emergency dispatchers received reports that a shooting may have occurred near Macy’s and that a man was seen with an AR-15 rifle near the mall’s food court around 3:29 p.m. The man also may be wearing body armor.

4:54 p.m.: Pedro Garcia, 24, of Happy Valley, said he was walking to Panera Bread Co. at the mall to get some sandwiches, “like any other day.’’

He was just outside the mall when he said he heard at least six shots.

“But what caught my attention, I could smell the gunpowder,’’ Garcia said. “That’s what pretty much made me run. The gunpowder is what made me react.’’

Soon, several police cars raced up to the mall doors. An officer holding a rifle yelled at him and others to “run, run, run!’’ A staff worker at Panera Bread Co. was standing by the front door, not letting people in or out, Garcia said.

Garcia said he ran to his car, where his wife was waiting for him.

“It’s pretty crazy stuff. You never expect anything to happen like this,’’ Garcia said. “I’m just shocked that we’re trending on Twitter because of this. It’s horrible.’’

4:51 p.m.: The Sunnyside Road off-ramp from Interstate 205 has been shut down while police SWAT teams search for a gunman who killed two people at the nearby Clackamas Town Center and left an additional half-dozen people injured.

Meanwhile, air traffic above the mall has been restricted while helicopter ambulances are preparing to land so they can ferry critical-care patients to trauma centers. A fleet of ambulances has gathered at the mall while medical teams are performing triage, evaluating the conditions of the shooting victims.

At the same time, the Town Center remains on lock-down status while SWAT teams are making systematic sweeps of the stores and corridors. The mall’s theaters have been evacuated and several TriMet buses have arrived to take witnesses away for orderly interviews.

The shooting rampage cut short the holiday atmosphere at the mall, instead spreading a pall of horror and shock.

According to preliminary reports, a man with a semiautomatic rifle opened fire near Macy’s around 3:29 p.m. The man, who may have been wearing body armor and camouflage clothing, also was seen near the mall’s food court.

John Canzano, sports columnist for The Oregonian, reported that as many as 60 shots were fired while he was shopping at the mall.

Canzano said he first noticed people “running out of the mall kind of crying and upset.” He stopped a person who said “somebody has an automatic weapon and is shooting.”

Crowds of shoppers were seen running from the mall. Others huddled together, crying, while trying to take cover.

Some early reports indicated the man was carrying an AR-15 rifle, the semiautomatic, civilian version of the fully automatic, military M-16. Both rifles fire the same high-powered cartridge.

It is not clear whether the shooting was the work of a single gunman or if others were involved.

One deputy reported that the rifle may have jammed and that a full magazine was found on the floor.

An unconfirmed report indicated that the gunman may have killed himself after the shooting.

Clackamas County sheriff’s deputies have not been able to confirm the reports. Names of the shooting victims are not yet available.

Police have not offered any motive or indicated that the gunman may have announced his intentions.

Police agencies throughout the county are answering calls to the sheriff’s office while deputies are investigating at the mall. Â

4:41 p.m.: Isabel Valentine of West Linn was nearly finished with shopping when she heard shots as she was leaving The Body Shop store and heading toward the food court.

Valentine, 20, said she and three other customers were led by three employees out of the mall and into the sparking lot through a fire escape. She said it took about 20 minutes for her to reach her car, and she drove from the mall.

"The scene outside as I was leaving was just chaos," she told The Oregonian. "Police were everywhere, people were crying and screaming, and we still don't know exactly why this all happened."

4:40 p.m.: At 4:30 p.m., an employee at Avon Bath & Beauty, a store located across from the Macy’s and Forever 21, said she was in her locked store with a customer and the customer’s 18-month-old daughter. The employee, who asked not to be named, said she heard two shots back-to-back, a pause and then at least six to eight in a row.

“I couldn’t count because they were going off so quick,” she said, adding that it was clear to her right away what was going on. She said that she began yelling at people to get out of the mall and she started closing up the gate of her store.

“People were screaming and pointing and running,” she said, “it was just like your typical American nightmare.”

The employee said a mall security guard told her that three people had been shot and that two had died. She said she was told that the shooter remained on the loose and that security said the shooter was alive and likely was in Macy’s or Forever 21.

“Police are in here with dogs, they’re heavily armed. They’re finding lots of people hiding, scattered here and there."

4:34 p.m.: Carlos Preciado, a manager of the Clackamas Claim Jumper Restaurant near the mall, said the restaurant is still open, with a few customers eating at the restaurant. Staff are watching TV for updates. He said the restaurant, at this time, will remain open. But the restaurant's parking lot is blocked.

"I mean, this is unbelievable,'' Preciado said.

4:29 p.m.: Police are conducting a store-by-store search of Clackamas Town Center, looking for a gunman who killed two people and shot an unknown number of additional victims.

The mall has been placed on lock-down status and all the entrances are blocked. Meanwhile, police SWAT teams are making a systematic search of the corridors and stores."

between the batman theatre and this, I'll kiss your ass if anybody thinks there won't be attempted gun control legislation out of this. At least a re-enstatement of the AWB... which won't affect us, since we're still oppressed under most of it.

between the batman theatre and this, I'll kiss your ass if anybody thinks there won't be attempted gun control legislation out of this. At least a re-enstatement of the AWB... which won't affect us, since we're still oppressed under most of it.

Either way an AWB would cause prices to skyrocket.

I thought today was a good day, we got a win in Illinois, and then this. :sigh:

I hear ya'......turns out to be another sad day...

But before all the conspiracy theories chime in, let me put my tin foil hat and my matching suit ON.

I don't think we'll see another AWB anytime soon.

The original AWB was a solution in search of a problem. Back in 1994 ago there weren't a lot of these black rifles around. The magazine capacity law probably effected more people than anything else. And anyway, gun companies just switched the names around, removed the evil features and *poof* all the sudden you had the same rifle that wasn't an assault rifle.

Today there are *far more* people who own these guns than there were before. This time around, the government will have learned its lesson and they have one of two options:

#1. Make the rest of the country like NJ.

#2. Ban all semi-automatic guns. Everything. From Ruger 10-22's to AR-15s.

Either one of those options would either result in:

#1. Revolution

or

#2. The 28th Amendment which would clarify or strengthen the 2nd.

The common sense side of this would be ok lets make it so people can protect themselves in all public area's. The retarded side which tends to prevail in this crap will probably say well lets make the gun free zone larger or try to ban people from owning semi auto guns.

Until a system like what was in minority report comes into existence no forms of gun control or firearm banning will stop random acts of murder and or violence.

Today there are *far more* people who own these guns than there were before. This time around, the government will have learned its lesson and they have one of two options:

#1. Make the rest of the country like NJ.

#2. Ban all semi-automatic guns. Everything. From Ruger 10-22's to AR-15s.

Either one of those options would either result in:

#1. Revolution

Not if they grandfathered in all existing to keep current gun owners "pacified."

or

#2. The 28th Amendment which would clarify or strengthen the 2nd.

LOL. Good luck with that one, with a marxist president and democratically-controlled Senate. Even if 2/3 of the states WOULD pass it, they'll never get the chance to... the idea will die in some committee somewhere.

...which would be why re-instating the old AWB would be the "smartest" thing for the govt to do- not only is it nothing new, but NJ and CA still adhere to it, for the most part, anyway. They might even take on some "new" "assault rifles" to "the list"... that list was floating around here just a week or so ago...

You people who think the govt cares about public opinion are naive... I think the last 2 elections have shown well enough that the quantity of gun owners in the country is no longer relevant to them- it'll only be relevant when the shooting starts, at which point they will attempt to round us all up like dissidents. Maybe they'll even use our own military against us- ahem, WACO anyone?- which is of course unconstitutional, but when was the last time constitution stopped them from doing whatever the hell they wanted anyway?

I am curious to learn what ended the shooting spree. All I have seen so far is that the shooter is dead, and that the police did not shoot him. So either he killed himself, or perhaps it is wishful thinking that someone with a CCW took care of it.

There is something odd about this story and the way it is being reported. All the news stories I have seen say little about how or why the gunman was stopped, only saying it was an "apparent suicide" and confirming that the police did not fire any rounds. Why aren't there more details at this point? Also, in every other active shooter scenario I've read about, the gunman stopped firing only when confronted by police (either being shot or physically detained by the police or committing suicide after being confronted) or in a few cases killed by an armed citizen. Very odd that this nut would kill himself without being confronted, unless he was targeting a specific person and then killed himself. If this person in Oregon had been stopped by an armed citizen, I wonder whether the police and the media might deliberately delay or avoid reporting that? I have no reason whatsoever to believe that is the case here, but it does seem a bit odd.

Unfortunately, these rampages are going to keep happening because the media over-covers them. Every nutjob with a gruge sees that the way to get attention is to do what those columbine kids did. Ever since then, they make these people into celebrities and for some, that's all that they wanted to begin with.

I wonder whether the police and the media might deliberately delay or avoid reporting that? I have no reason whatsoever to believe that is the case here, but it does seem a bit odd.

I didn't think of that, especially since General Growth Properties has that mall listed as a "gun free" zone.

The police have a conundrum on their hands if a CCW holder stopped that shooting,. Do they prosecute a guy who just saved dozens of people?

There is something odd about this story and the way it is being reported. All the news stories I have seen say little about how or why the gunman was stopped, only saying it was an "apparent suicide" and confirming that the police did not fire any rounds. Why aren't there more details at this point? Also, in every other active shooter scenario I've read about, the gunman stopped firing only when confronted by police (either being shot or physically detained by the police or committing suicide after being confronted) or in a few cases killed by an armed citizen. Very odd that this nut would kill himself without being confronted, unless he was targeting a specific person and then killed himself. If this person in Oregon had been stopped by an armed citizen, I wonder whether the police and the media might deliberately delay or avoid reporting that? I have no reason whatsoever to believe that is the case here, but it does seem a bit odd.

A number of mass shooters have killed themselves without being confronted. As for the odd reporting, I'm hoping it's a new trend. Making someone famous for this crap is exactly the opposite of what should happen. They should die anonymously with the only coverage about them being how big a POS the nameless scumbag was rather than turning them into some anti hero to be copycatted.