Sign in to follow this  
cutterOne

+1 in the "Win" column for the good guys...

Good news!

SPRINGFIELD — There’s not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

In a setback for gun-control advocates in the wake of the killings of school children in Connecticut, the Illinois Senate was poised to adjourn Thursday without voting on two pieces of legislation aimed at limiting access to certain kinds of weapons and bullets.

Although the two proposals could emerge again when the legislature reconvenes next week, the lack of action shows the General Assembly remains divided on how to balance Second Amendment issues.

A spokeswoman for Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, offered no timetable for when the gun safety proposals might surface again.

“We will take some time to work on these important issues to advance them in the near future,” Rikeesha Phelon noted in a message to reporters. ...

I'm not sure if it's because I've been living in a virtual bubble since Newtown (as a consequence of poor news reports), but I'm feeling steadily more confident in what the future has in store. I'm seeing the resurgence of pro-gun articles in big publications like Forbes and, in what was extremely exciting for me personally, even my idol Sam Harris recently gave his well reasoned opinion (with some obvious, but petty disagreements) on gun-control. Even in typical liberal online territory I see the paradigm shifting towards our position. Even the massive media and social criticism of Wayne LaPierre's notion of putting armed guards in schools is receding significantly (especially since it was brought to attention that former president Bill Clinton made very similar proposals).

Not to diminish the severity of the threats facing us, but I've seen a decline in the defeatist attitudes here and elsewhere. Go team!

The price of freedom is never ending vigilance.

Keep pushing. We NEED this to stop here. I plan on emailing the reps again this evening. I am cutting and pasting a copy of the Marine letter to feinstein to be included. The problem with believing that it's "over" is that we may become complacent.

Keep pushing.

C

"A spokeswoman for Senate President John Cullerton, D-Chicago, offered no timetable for when the gun safety proposals might surface again."

TRANSLATION: "We'll have all our ducks in a row soon. We'll re-introduce the bill as soon as another exploitable tragedy becomes available."

PUSH BACK....TURN THE TIDE...CONTACT YOUR REPS ..................NOW !

Just sent some letters to POTUS, Menendez, Lauty-wauty, and others. They probably won't read it, but I'm sure another few drops in the tide can help. :D

....because for them it's not the constitution that matters, it' the symbolism. They know such a law wouldn't pass constitutional muster. For the non-gun owner, or more to the point, for those asleep at the civic duty wheel, only other people will pay for their symbolic victory. Not them.

I really hope this class of legislation dies in every state house in which it is proposed, especially in the northeast. right now I want to post an expletive, but I'll respect the forum and go yell into a pillow or something.

Don't pop the cork on the champagne yet...

TTAG’s sources in Illinois tell us that Governor Quinn (aided by the Chicago Mayor and former White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emmanuel) will lead the charge to revive and pass the gun and magazine ban and shooting range regulations bills when the House reconvenes for the lame duck session on Sunday at 5pm. Watch this space.

DO NOT stop the push back.

The nuts strategy is simple, through enough rocks and one of them will hit the window.

And they know every one of these wont stand proper judicial review, but they bank on the fact

that courts take years to hear these cases and they can pass them overnight at a pool table.

We have to keep persistent with the response.