Sign in to follow this  
va_bank

SKS with Dragunov-style stock - NJ legal?

I THINK, and I'm not to sure about this, but you can keep the bayonet lug and have a pistol grip on an SKS since the magazine isn't detachable. Once you do the removable magazine mod, it becomes illegal on the spot (at least to my understanding of the law).

When a rifle is imported, it is done so in sporting configuration. If you want to take it out of that configuration, you have to count the parts that are not US made.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

That website has a list of parts that can be replaced on the SKS to make it compliant. To do so, you must have 10 or less parts on it that are not US made. Replace certain eligible parts with the US made counter-parts and you will have a legal rifle.

There are people that can explain it way better than I can. They should show up soon and make me look like a fool.

When a rifle is imported, it is done so in sporting configuration. If you want to take it out of that configuration, you have to count the parts that are not US made.

http://gunwiki.net/G...erifyCompliance

That website has a list of parts that can be replaced on the SKS to make it compliant. To do so, you must have 10 or less parts on it that are not US made. Replace certain eligible parts with the US made counter-parts and you will have a legal rifle.

There are people that can explain it way better than I can. They should show up soon and make me look like a fool.

I don't believe 922r comes into play with an SKS that has a standard fixed mag. It would be considered a "sporting" rifle under fed import rules because of the lack of detachable mag.

OP - as long as you don't put a detachable mag on it, you can do what ever you want.

It is completely legal. This is the stock my Norinco SKS had on it when I purchased it new back in '97. It is a thumb-hole stock and even if you converted the gun to a detachable magazine (which you cannot do legally in NJ because detachable magazine SKSs are banned by the AWB) the stock would not be the problem, it would actually count as one of the 922r compliant parts.