So does this mean 12 and 20ga shot guns will be banned as well? Just thought of that...

The way the ban is written it would not ban smooth bore, so if you have a slug gun then yes, 12ga with rifled barrel would also be banned, but regualar smoth bore shotgun would be fine. There is no plan on grandfathering either so don't rush out to buy one, if the law passes (which god willing it won't) the way it's written you would have some period of time to legally sell your .50 cal, dispose of, or turn it in. I own a .50 cal S&W and this law in particular makes me furious. It's the start of very slippery slope, because what is next? This would be like making Marlboro red's illegal but light's are ok (for now).

The way the ban is written it would not ban smooth bore, so if you have a slug gun then yes, 12ga with rifled barrel would also be banned, but regualar smoth bore shotgun would be fine. There is no plan on grandfathering either so don't rush out to buy one, if the law passes (which god willing it won't) the way it's written you would have some period of time to legally sell your .50 cal, dispose of, or turn it in. I own a .50 cal S&W and this law in particular makes me furious. It's the start of very slippery slope, because what is next? This would be like making Marlboro red's illegal but light's are ok (for now).

Bill has been revised to not ban rifled barreled shotguns. It also contains language for muzzle energy so It may not effect .50 cal handguns.

"which shall

33 include a 12.7 mm equivalent of 50 caliber or greater or any other

34 metric equivalent, or a copy or duplicate of any such weapon

35 regardless of caliber that is capable of firing a projectile that attains

36 a muzzle energy of 12,000 foot-pounds or greater in any

37 combination of bullet, propellant, case, or primer. The provisions

38 of this paragraph shall not apply to a smooth bore shotgun or rifle

39 barrel shotgun or any shotgun ammunition generally recognized as

40 suitable for sporting purposes in this State"

Link to revised bill: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A4000/3659_R1.PDF

Wholeheartedly agree.

As was said in the Trenton meeting, "this is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist"

Exactly

It shouldn't make you feel better..what crimes are committed with 50 cal rifles

Certainly doesnt make me feel safer. I'll re-phrase... At least if they pass the stupid law i wont have to sell my shotgun/barrel.

It shouldn't make you feel better..what crimes are committed with 50 cal rifles

According to our legislators, it is to keep prevent people from shooting down planes off the Pulasky skyway. The Barrett 50 cal fits in the trunk of a car and could easily be used for terroristic activity.

Can I get a facepalm?

Even more ambiguous is the ban on ammo that can pierce body armor. That effectively renders 90% of all our guns BANNED. I mean unless we're talking Type III or Type IV body armor, even 9mm can blow straight through body armor

Thus far, it only pertains to handgun ammunition with bullets that have the properties described below.

"or (3) any person, other than a law enforcement officer, who knowingly has in his possession handgun ammunition which 1[(a)]1 has a full metal jacket and an ogive with a steel penetrator tip followed by an aluminum core and is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor 1[, or (b) after testing, the Attorney General determines poses a threat to the safety and well being of law enforcement officers because of the materials, be they metallic or nonmetallic, used in its composition or because its ogive, core or jacket are of a design, construction or formulation which makes it capable of breaching or penetrating body armor,]1"

It shouldn't  make you feel better..what crimes are committed with 50 cal rifles

I am fairly sure no person has ever been murdered with a .50 BMG firearm in the United States.  By a civilian, not including LEO and government.

So, obviously they should be banned.  They banned MGs in 1986 because only one person had ever been murdered with a registered MG by a civilian since 1934.  There was another person murdered with a registered MG, but that was by a cop, not a civilian.

Since zero murdered is less than one murdered, in the history of "evar," this should be even more urgent by their logic.

According to our legislators, it is to keep prevent people from shooting down planes off the Pulasky skyway.

Can I get a facepalm?

Yep, they actually said that -- heard it with my own ears :facepalm:

Even more ambiguous is the ban on ammo that can pierce body armor. That effectively renders 90% of all our guns BANNED. I mean unless we're talking Type III or Type IV body armor, even 9mm can blow straight through body armor

Amended