mikelets456

NJ Mother Forced to Turn Over Her Guns.....

Charged With ‘Terroristic Threats’ After Reading the Constitution at Tax Dispute Assembly

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/12/nj-mother-forced-to-turn-over-her-guns-charged-with-terroristic-threats-after-reading-the-constitution-at-tax-dispute-assembly/

A New Jersey mother was arrested and told to turn over her guns after reading the Constitution and peacefully protesting at a tax dispute forum, she says.

Eileen Hart was with her husband Keith and her 7-year-old daughter on Saturday at the Gloucester Community Center to dispute a mandatory home re-evaluation that would roughly double her property value (and therefore dramatically increase her rates), objecting on multiple grounds. As an Orthodox Jew, she refused to have the inspectors in her home when her husband was away at work. As an American citizen, she objected to the seemingly arbitrary reappraisal, noting that she is not planning on selling her home and hasn’t renovated her kitchen in 30 years.

But at the forum, Hart was allegedly told that since she didn’t let the inspectors into her home, the state has a right to “assume” its value.

“How could they assume that my value had doubled when there is absolutely no housing market?” she asked TheBlaze rhetorically over the phone. “There is basically no GDP growth.”

After Hart started citing the Constitution, a representative of Appraisal Systems, Inc.– the company contracted by the state to conduct appraisals– started “freaking out,” she said, and called for New Jersey tax assessor Robyn Glocker-Hammond.

“Sit down and shut up,” Hart said Glocker-Hammond told her, adding that she (Glocker-Hammond) was there to “enforce the law.”

“I didn’t see a badge,” Hart noted. “Her title is tax assessor, not law enforcement officer.”

Glocker-Hammond started speaking to Hart’s husband like a “two-year-old,” Hart claimed, and after she objected, Glocker-Hammond once again told her to be quiet.

“I have a right to speak out against this, this is a public place, my tax dollars pay your salary,” Hart objected to the tax assessor, already incredulous at the drastic increase in her rates.

“I don’t work for you,” the assessor allegedly retorted.

At that point, Appraisal Systems, Inc. representative Andrew Colavecchio started advancing towards her, she said, like he was about to grab her arm. “Don’t you dare touch me,” she said after he allegedly got so close he touched her coat.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Seems that she's guilty until proven innocent. It's amazing this stuff goes on...a government official can simply walk in and take your stuff based on the story of another government official?

While I DON'T agree with the part about taking her guns away and how they were treated, I am sorry but we all have to get our homes re-assessed like it or not. It is not fair to other property tax payers in their town if they don't allow it to be re-assessed and I agree 100% that if you don't let them assess your home, they have every right to assume the value. It's the only way to be fair to the rest of the township. We went through the exact same thing a few years ago in Hillsborough.

While I DON'T agree with the part about taking her guns away and how they were treated, I am sorry but we all have to get our homes re-assessed like it or not. It is not fair to other property tax payers in their town if they don't allow it to be re-assessed and I agree 100% that if you don't let them assess your home, they have every right to assume the value. It's the only way to be fair to the rest of the township. We went through the exact same thing a few years ago in Hillsborough.

Well, here's something else to think about. Are property taxes "Constitutional"? What's fair? What's just? $1000? $10,000? $20,000? How come some pay it and some don't? How come some get rebates and some don't? We've been duped into believing that every tax is justified...I contend that property taxes are Unconstitutional. Because what happens if you can't pay them? Your assets are seized!

...Seems that she's guilty until proven innocent. It's amazing this stuff goes on...a government official can simply walk in and take your stuff based on the story of another government official?...

Happens for domestic violence allegations/restraining orders where they just take the word of a spouse who has a high probability of being completely biased.

So did she or did she not say "I'll be back with a gun?"

If you have to ever deal with government officials or representatives thereof (contractors, etc), carry a voice recorder. They are cheap, with the right batteries they will store for ages until needed, and the better one will record through pockets and so on.

It is cheap insurance, non-obvious (like recording with a cellphone though that is an option) and it might save your ass when you get into a he said she said contest with someone who wants to ruin your life because you challenged their authoriteeee (insert Cartman voice).

I'm not saying she said or did not say what she is being accused of, but imagine if she had a recording to hand to her lawyer (not the cops).

This is alarming for many reasons.

1) starting with the absolute arrogance of the town officials in squashing this woman's 1st amendment rights. If this was an occupy whatever protester, would this have happened? Maybe she should have just banged a drum incessantly.

2) we have come to a place in this society where the very words from the document that founded us are offensive to politicians and bureaucrats. To the point of dialing 911.

3) whether she made any reference to a gun is in dispute. But it matters not. Why did the LEO unconstitutionally coerce her into giving them her guns? Without due process.

4) where was her legal representation? Rule #1, shut the f*ck up. She should not have allowed any questions without a lawyer present.

Now we are in an environment where guns are the focus of any interaction with LEOs in certain towns. Regardless of the reason.

There are so many things wrong here that my head is about to explode. I realize that all the facts are not in and that these hearings are usually taped in some manner so hopefully we will get some facts at some point.

Disclaimer: there is no love lost between myself and Appraisal Systems, Inc. either. Their arrogance makes Rahm and his Chicago gang look like shrinking violets.

Make no mistake about it. We are under siege.

What happens if you dont pay property taxes? They take your home. Therefore you dont own your property anyway

This is my #1 problem with property taxes. You are paying RENT to the Government to stay on "your" property == you don't own it!

I would be happy paying a higher income and sales tax if I never had to pay another dime in property tax, ever.

As for this woman, I agree with her on religious grounds. She's an orthodox Jew and can't have strange men in her home while her husband is at work, so she claims. Whatever, that is her right.

But she should have just taken the assessment and filed an appeal. If the housing market is shit as she claims she could win an appeal easily.

I really hate these money grab reassessments the towns do. They do it when the market is up but rarely ever when it is down.

Reminds me of the woman wearing the berka in the Bridgewater Mall.....when she was told she couldn't wear a mask in public she got an attorney....the Mall publically appologized and berated the security officer.....turns out these berkas are only a custom and have nothing to do with religion......so where does it begin and end....?

Seems everything is getting worse ......IMO.

Can we focus on the fact that they took her guns?

Look at the couple of recent news stories, the guy in Jersey City, this lady, the gun register in Cali that is letting them round up guns from formally legal gun owners.

All this could happen to any of us. At the whim of a bureaucrat or "official".

Wonder what we'll do when they make us wear a big "G" on our coats because we have an FID.

Don't laugh.

As for this woman, I agree with her on religious grounds. She's an orthodox Jew and can't have strange men in her home while her husband is at work, so she claims. Whatever, that is her right.

But she should have just taken the assessment and filed an appeal. If the housing market is shit as she claims she could win an appeal easily.

I really hate these money grab reassessments the towns do. They do it when the market is up but rarely ever when it is down.

Probably a good idea no matter what your religion.

Happens for domestic violence allegations/restraining orders where they just take the word of a spouse who has a high probability of being completely biased.

So did she or did she not say "I'll be back with a gun?"

Whether she did or did not its his word against hers. Does it give the police the right to take her private property? What about " due process" ?

Whether she did or did not its his word against hers. Does it give the police the right to take her private property? What about " due process" ?

Oh, it's sh#tty and I don't agree with it, but the point I was trying to make in my earlier post is there is already a very low bar for seizing firearms in domestic violence/restraining orders, so it's not that shocking, sad as that is.

“How could they assume that my value had doubled when there is absolutely no housing market?” she asked TheBlaze rhetorically over the phone. “There is basically no GDP growth.”

Zillow says there have been 332 recent sales in her township, which may or may not be low, but it isn't exactly "no housing market". I'd also be amazed if her mailbox wasn't overflowing with letters from attorneys offering to fight the reassessments.

There is always more to the story.....

http://www.nj.com/gl...tens_to_br.html

Warrant2-001-620x559.jpg

(SGT. J. Dick???????)

So on what grounds did they take her weapons?

As I read it, she gave them the pistols. That, or she'd need to post high bail. She was released on OR.

none of this sits right with me.. i would love to hear whose story is corroborated, the woman or the Appraisal Systems person. If its the woman, the town and that company could be in for a fairly large lawsuit.. the woman had every right to protest the tax re-assessment (even if it doesnt change anything) and she has every right to say things from our nations founding document. She also has every right to warn that Appraisal Systems person not to touch her (that would be considered assault if he did).

The police also had absolute no authority to confiscate any legal guns in her house.

this is, of course, if she said nothing about threatening with a gun. If she did, then all bets are off...

none of this sits right with me.. i would love to hear whose story is corroborated, the woman or the Appraisal Systems person. If its the woman, the town and that company could be in for a fairly large lawsuit.. the woman had every right to protest the tax re-assessment (even if it doesnt change anything) and she has every right to say things from our nations founding document. She also has every right to warn that Appraisal Systems person not to touch her (that would be considered assault if he did).

The police also had absolute no authority to confiscate any legal guns in her house.

this is, of course, if she said nothing about threatening with a gun. If she did, then all bets are off...

Even if she did threaten him it gives the government the authority to confiscate your property? There is a thing called "due process" and just because someone makes a threat simply does not make the police arbitrators of confiscating property. It's his word against hers....bottom line the two of them would have to stand before a judge before anything can be done. Especially confiscating property!

I'm a VERY sarcastic person and at times I've quoted lines from a movie while traveling...like Sunny Bono's line from "Airplane 2": "I'll have a pack of gum, a soda, that magazine and the 2nd bomb on the left..." So, if I'm caught saying "bomb" at the airport does it give them the right to confiscate my property at the airport and at home without a warrant? Without due process? Also, I'm Italian and make simple jokes that "I'm from NJ, drive a Lincoln and have a big trunk"....What happens if someone takes me seriously? One could argue that was a threat and we need to search and seize his car, house, etc!

See, there's a reason for the 1A,2A, 4A,5A, etc, etc, etc....it's to protect us from unreasonable searches, confiscation and imprisonment!

sure, we can talk about that all we want, but if she threatened to come back with a gun, that's "sort of" a direct threat.. i have my major doubts she said that, but threatening someone in a public forum is not the wisest thing to do. there is a very high chance she would get arrested and because the threatened weapon was a GUN, they temporarily confiscated the gun that she "allegedly" threatened to use..

im not condoning any of it, but i am not surprised about it IF she said that (which again, im highly doubting).

we all know "due process" seems a bit more subjective these days... again, i find the whole thing fishy..

I have always felt it should be the right of any property owner to call their taxing authority on their assessment. Meaning that if you don't agree with their appraisal you should have the option of calling their bluff and making them purchase the property for the value they assessed it. That would put an end to the shenanigans in short order.

They did not take her guns, they gave her an ultimatum. Either give us your guns, pay a high bail, or sit in jail; her choice. She chose to give up her guns to go home. It does not make things right by any means on the part of the PD, but she chose to give the guns to them based on her 3 choices.

They did not take her guns, they gave her an ultimatum. Either give us your guns, pay a high bail, or sit in jail; her choice. She chose to give up her guns to go home. It does not make things right by any means on the part of the PD, but she chose to give the guns to them based on her 3 choices.

How about the 4th option? Shut up and call my lawyer.