5th4x4

Build at last!

On my very first first day as a member of this forum I found myself being thrown right into the deep end by some rather determined dudes (bhunted, Krdshrk, Arbelest, T Bill, alowerlevel and HuntingPaper).

And despite my original intentions when I arrived, they succeeded in convincing me to built my own (and it did take quite a bit of convincing, I can assure you all of that!).

But now here I am ready to get this party started!

So I'm hoping that I can count on them - and whoever else would be kind enough to impart their knowledge and experience towards this mission.

Ok, so I figured it would be best to get the main guts out of the way first, so I'm going to be looking to obtain a stripped lower and a parts kit.

That's where I hope that you guys come in.

So here are my (uneducated) questions regarding that:

Is there any specific kind of material (metal or whatnot) that I should specifically look for (or specifically avoid)?

Is there any specific type of finish that I should specifically look for (or specifically avoid)?

Is there any specific websites/manufacturers/sellers that I should be focusing on (or avoiding at all costs)?

And lastly (for now) is... does anyone have have any reason (or reasons) for dissuading me from trimming a bit off of the budget by getting one of those blemished lowers?

Oh, and as for the parts kit.... I'm sure that not all parts kits are the same. So.... does anyone have any suggestions on what to get (or what to avoid)?

And just so you all know, my credit card is locked and loaded and ready to pull the trigger on this first round of purchases (<< how do you like that triple gun pun. Pretty stupid and embarrassing, huh?).

So if there are any sales out there that anyone is privy to, I'm ready to pounce!

Ok, so I'm really hoping that you guys will help me with this (especially those trouble makers that I already mentioned who planted this bug in me to begin with!).

I'm actually very confident about building it. I've field-stripped an M16 a million times, so this will now be about taking it down to the nuts and bolts (pins and springs) level, so I'm totally game for this.

It's just the "parts" part - as well as the "options" part - where I'm not confident enough to know what I'm doing. 

So any suggestions, guidance, and advice that I can get from you knowledgable guys would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I suppose I should clarify a bit:

I have looked around. It's just that I don't know whether I'm comparing apples with apples... or with oranges... or with lemons. 

So I've definitely come across plenty of "in stock" items. I just don't know "why" I might be better off choosing one over the other.

When it comes to parts kits, I've seen some that are sold without a grip, and that's probably the way that I'd want to go, since I plan to make that a "preference" purchase instead of a "kit" purchase.

But the bottom-line is: what separates one kit from the other? Am I giving that too much thought? Do people generally just buy what's in stock? No significant difference from one to the next? 

These are the kinds of things that I'd like to learn. I mean, if I'm gonna build this thing, I want to have some reason for having chosen what went into it.

Make sense?

I would work on the LPK, stock kit, magazine,  and upper first.  Leave the lower till last.  This way you can have these parts shipped to you without worrying about NJ firearm violations.  Your just buying parts.  Get the stock you want, pin it.  Get the upper you want, neuter it, there a people here can help with that.  Now go get that lower from the Local Gun Store of you choice by either purchasing direct from them or buying online and having it transferred to you.  Sit down and enjoy.

This only works for the first AR purchase.  The next one you have to be a little more savvy to do!

As far as who and where, you can't go wrong with PSA.  Look for sales on LPK/Compete stock kits and for uppers think about what you want and we can go from there.

I would work on the LPK, stock kit, magazine,  and upper first.  Leave the lower till last.  This way you can have these parts shipped to you without worrying about NJ firearm violations.  

Well, the way I'm kinda looking at it is: 

That lower is my ticket to build.

I don't trust this state for one nanosecond. I want the part that requires the license and which is lawful to have right now

Christie can only be trusted as far as we can throw him... and there's no one throwing him very far.

I waited 5 months for my license... so the last thing I want is to own everything but the lower.... and then POOF: NY State style gun laws :/

Hmmm.... that Spikes lower is on sale for $89.

So if anyone here has any reason as to why me and that lower should not marry, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Ok, so Mr. Impulse-buy wasn't taking into account that he's gotta set up some sort of a relationship with a local FFL.

Lower recivers must be shipped to a valid FFL. After placing your order contact the receiving dealer and have them send a copy of their FFL to us. The FFL can be emailed to[email protected] or faxed to 757-282-5943

(kinda interesting how they misspelled "receivers" on their website. But I digress)

I think that maybe this is one of those instances where I could really use some knowledge imparted in my direction. Please.

Ok, so Mr. Impulse-buy wasn't taking into account that he's gotta set up some sort of a relationship with a local FFL.

Lower recivers must be shipped to a valid FFL. After placing your order contact the receiving dealer and have them send a copy of their FFL to us. The FFL can be emailed to[email protected] or faxed to 757-282-5943

(kinda interesting how they misspelled "receivers" on their website. But I digress)

I think that maybe this is one of those instances where I could really use some knowledge imparted in my direction. Please.

Find a forum vendor that you're willing to drive to. I believe every vendor we have will be happy to work with you to acquire a stripped lower. Just call them up, and tell them who you are buying your lower from, and ask them to fax their FFL copy to the vendor.

Find a forum vendor that you're willing to drive to. I believe every vendor we have will be happy to work with you to acquire a stripped lower. Just call them up, and tell them who you are buying your lower from, and ask them to fax their FFL copy to the vendor.

Thanks Jon -

I went through the entire vendor list trying to find locations. That was some tough sledding. Some of those vendors don't even have an address on their website. And those that did might as well be located on the moon - quite a long hike for a north Jersey guy to make.

Anyway, I found one that is close enough to travel to (I'll need to take out a second mortgage to fill up the gas tank first though). I'll rattle his cage and see if he's willing.

Thanks again for the info.

Thanks Jon -

I went through the entire vendor list trying to find locations. That was some tough sledding. Some of those vendors don't even have an address on their website. And those that did might as well be located on the moon - quite a long hike for a north Jersey guy to make.

Anyway, I found one that is close enough to travel to (I'll need to take out a second mortgage to fill up the gas tank first though). I'll rattle his cage and see if he's willing.

Thanks again for the info.

I can understand where you're coming from 100%, but when you get involved in the hobby here, you'll find that it's not very easy to find an FFL who you like, although it is much better now than when I got involved. I used to drive an hour plus each way to the only FFL I really trusted.

I would drive pretty far for a good FFL. I travel 75 minutes each way for work everyday. I love driving. It calms me down. Just really happy my FFL (forum vendor tj sporting arms)is about 20 minutes from my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Use True Value Hardware in Lincoln Park. 206 main St. 973-694-1150. I think last time they charged $40 for the transfer. I've done 4 with them so far. Either call them and they'll fax their FFL to the vendor's fax or sometimes after the order you have to call the FFL and give them your order number.

Is this the first item you're getting or do you have other parts already?

If you don't mind to drive to Ocean County use Tony Altieri at TJ Sporting Arms. He is a great guy!

I think I actually know of that place! Toms River? (south of the business district, I think). Cosmos Auto is around there, right? I think that there is a nursery somewhere around there too (I used to buy a couple of cords of wood there on my way to LBI).

I go a different way now, but Cosmos is a landmark, and the firewood stop was a tradition, so that ride has lots of old familiar places that I still remember.

(isn't there also a small military supply shop on the southbound side around there too? Right next door to a new-age/head-shop. Or is that further south?) 

Btw, that's almost 2 hours from my location. I don't necessarily mind that kind of ride, but it would need to be tied to a beach run. Next time I find myself down that way I'll certainly stop and check it out though.

I think I actually know of that place! Toms River? (south of the business district, I think). Cosmos Auto is around there, right? I think that there is a nursery somewhere around there too (I used to buy a couple of cords of wood there on my way to LBI).

I go a different way now, but Cosmos is a landmark, and the firewood stop was a tradition, so that ride has lots of old familiar places that I still remember.

(isn't there also a small military supply shop on the southbound side around there too? Right next door to a new-age/head-shop. Or is that further south?)

Btw, that's almost 2 hours from my location. I don't necessarily mind that kind of ride, but it would need to be tied to a beach run. Next time I find myself down that way I'll certainly stop and check it out though.

That's what I do and believe me Tony is a great guy and he has some lowers on stock now.

Use True Value Hardware in Lincoln Park. 206 main St. 973-694-1150. I think last time they charged $40 for the transfer. I've done 4 with them so far. Either call them and they'll fax their FFL to the vendor's fax or sometimes after the order you have to call the FFL and give them your order number.

Is this the first item you're getting or do you have other parts already?

This was the very first item.... so thanks for the link. Lalo. Killer price!

When I placed the order I was waiting for the part where they request the FFL info. But.... NOTHING. They sent me an email confirmation, but no mention of an FFL process at all.

It's not like I do this stuff every day (or ever... until today), but I expected something.

So is that normal? Do they just wait for my next move now?

I would drive pretty far for a good FFL. I travel 75 minutes each way for work everyday. I love driving. It calms me down. Just really happy my FFL (forum vendor tj sporting arms)is about 20 minutes from my house.

You obviously don't do much driving in north Jersey. It sucks the life out of you :p

Typically you have the lower shipped directly to the FFL so you would put that in the ship to section. I would try to give the vendor a call or send them an email and ask what to do next. You might have to change the ship to address to the FFL and then just have them fax their cert to the vendor.

Look through the section here - you'll see some build threads.

My first AR - was a "budget" AR and came out beautifully.  http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/22989-krdshrks-ar-build/

Well looky there!.... Same lower that I just purchased today!

Btw, as per finding myself an FFL...

I found a local gunshop about 10 minutes away from my house (who knew?!!!!). They were already closed by then, but I've got an email waiting for them in the morning.

If that doesn't pan out, bhunted has a guy. And then there is always the place in Lincoln Park that Lalo mentioned. That's still a bit of a drive for me, but I used to go to a church out that way, so the drive is pretty familiar to me.

I'm really chomping at the bit to start. And to be honest, it's putting together the guts of the lower receiver that has me the most excited. 

(plus.... I just want to have that thing in my hand so that I can at least be grandfathered-in in the event that the worst case scenario comes to pass)

Typically you have the lower shipped directly to the FFL so you would put that in the ship to section. I would try to give the vendor a call or send them an email and ask what to do next. You might have to change the ship to address to the FFL and then just have them fax their cert to the vendor.

Yup... I emailed them right away and admitted my naive brain fart.

My lack of knowledge about all of the logistics that are involved with this stuff is a pretty humbling experience. But I've got my eye on the prize, so I'll suffer the early embarrassments if necessary.

But seriously guys........ when I set my sights on something, I get tunnel-vision! Therefore I can use a bit of re-directing sometimes, so don't be afraid to say something.

You obviously don't do much driving in north Jersey. It sucks the life out of you :p

Not too much up north. I am driving before the traffic really starts for both parts of my day except for in Lakewood or Friday beach traffic.

I'm in the market for a 20" match barrel to swap out of one of my ARs. Early research goes a long way.

If aren't set on the 20 and would go 18", I'd recommend the Rainier Select Medcon 18".  It's a verry accurate barrel at a very attractive cost

op, you should really team up with someone and have them help you throughout the whole process.  If you lived closer, I'd offer to help and build it for you.

be mindful of the laws, no sense getting in trouble for making a mistake or not doing enough research.