RUTGERS95

Generators

Havent yet.  Plan on it at some point as i have a nat gas line to the grill outside and ready to go, but maybe not this year... As of now my brand new shiny $1000 generator hasnt gotten used once.  But I have it just in case I guess, that was the whole point.

Yeah i used it as well, but that was over last winter and I used the gas all summer in landscaping equip.   Didnt use it all tho, only about 5 - 7gal, so I still have some that was from last year with stabil in it that should really get used i would think.  How long is gas good for with the stabil added? Any idea??

Yes I did the conversion but didnt pick up the adapter for propane, figured why bother if I dont have mega-tank. Actually this past weekend showed the rest of family how to get the system up and running in case the zombies get me.

Speaking of...did anyone notice the Euro Model for this weekend?  http://weather.unisys.com/ecmwf/

It's showing a pretty significant Nor'easter type of storm running up the Delaware valley after coming ashore around the Delaware bay? 

GFS is showing nothing, so it may be nothing, but if I were going to get ready for a power outage, now is a good time.

Since we are upon the fall and the start of storm season approaches, thought I'd ask if anyone else (did this recently) has converted their gas generators to tri-fuel? 

Not recently but I converted last year, I posted in the link below. Anyway not going to make another huge post here but if you purchased your kit from US Carb they strongly suggest you first break-in your Gen in with gasoline first, if it is already broken-in please disregard.  US Carb also suggest once you convert to NG (or Propane) and if you are using synthetic oil switch to conventional motor oil which has low or no ash content. I’m using Castrol GTX which was one of US Carb's recommendations and I also use Castrol in my car

For anyone considering converting their gasoline generator to tri-fuel, please do the research required to determine what size gas line and tank you'll need to power the size generator you have.

You cannot run any decent size generator on a 20 lb. grill bottle, or a 1/2" natural gas line installed to fire a grill. A 6KW generator on LP gas will require a tank size and liquid surface area sufficient to vaporize the necessary amount of liquid to gas (>100 lb.?) and most likely a 3/4" line from the 2nd stage regulator to the generator (regulator) that is not longer than 20-30 feet.

Referring to the factory specs on this topic is essential if you expect your generator to develop full power and/or not burn out trying. So before you buy a conversion kit assess your LP/LNG gas setup.

For anyone considering converting their gasoline generator to tri-fuel, please do the research required to determine what size gas line and tank you'll need to power the size generator you have.

You cannot run any decent size generator on a 20 lb. grill bottle, or a 1/2" natural gas line installed to fire a grill. A 6KW generator on LP gas will require a tank size and liquid surface area sufficient to vaporize the necessary amount of liquid to gas (>100 lb.?) and most likely a 3/4" line from the 2nd stage regulator to the generator (regulator) that is not longer than 20-30 feet.

Referring to the factory specs on this topic is essential if you expect your generator to develop full power and/or not burn out trying. So before you buy a conversion kit assess your LP/LNG gas setup.

it's for portable generators in the 5-8k range.  I tested tonight, had 3 fridges, 1 freezer, 2 50 inch tvs, lights and heater on it.....worked like a charm

Not recently but I converted last year, I posted in the link below. Anyway not going to make another huge post here but if you purchased your kit from US Carb they strongly suggest you first break-in your Gen in with gasoline first, if it is already broken-in please disregard.  US Carb also suggest once you convert to NG (or Propane) and if you are using synthetic oil switch to conventional motor oil which has low or no ash content. I’m using Castrol GTX which was one of US Carb's recommendations and I also use Castrol in my car

I use mobil syn......why would that not work?

Speaking of...did anyone notice the Euro Model for this weekend?  http://weather.unisys.com/ecmwf/

It's showing a pretty significant Nor'easter type of storm running up the Delaware valley after coming ashore around the Delaware bay? 

GFS is showing nothing, so it may be nothing, but if I were going to get ready for a power outage, now is a good time.

I saw it. . By friday we should know more.  I may have to up my fuel storage

I’m not an expert on the matter, just a DIY guy. Granted ¾ inch right to the regulator is best but I have a 5500 Gen (running watts) portable supplied by a 1/2 line & quick disconnect. It runs perfectly and I’ve tested it with all the other gas appliances on and no problems whatsoever. The way it was explained to me is it really don’t matter if it is 1/2 or 3/4, what matters is your meter’s capacity and how far away you are from the meter and how many fittings like 90’s and reducers are in between the meter and endpoint. In my case I'm reduced to 1/2 about 4' away from the quick disconnect, beyond that its back to the meter is 1inch. At the quick disconnect I have a 10' grill hose.

Edit: added

http://www.uscarb.com/natural-gas-chart.htm

I use mobil syn......why would that not work?

Ultimately its up to you, just passing along what they advised me. They suggest switching to conventional oil after the conversion.  It comes down to high ash content will tend to form more sludge and low ash content promotes longer valve life. I guess the two fuels interact differently with the different oil(s). Apparently USCarb feels when running on NG this is more crucial to have the  low ash content that is why they suggest conventional with the Low Ash content. IIRC they mentioned three brands, I've used Castrol in the past so that is why I picked Castrol

gotcha and thanks for the tip, I was unaware!

The short of it is that when Natural gas and to a somewhat lesser extent propane burn in an engine, by products are different than when gasoline burns.

Nat gas and LP interact with the oil and essentially will varnish the inside of the engine and starve surfaces of lubrication.  Valve seats, rings, etc.  This will ultimately lead to poor engine performance, burning oil and lots of blowby.

It's NOT really a big deal for part time generators that run for less than 50 hours in a five year span.  However if you want your generator to last longer than you, just use low ash oils and it will extend the life of the genset.