mge_1

you folks ready? hurricane season...

testing out my new setup this year and no more extension cords all over the house.  finally got to install my interlocking switch and exterior inlet.  as long as the gas stations do not run out of gas we should be ok hehe.

bOd2OnY.jpg

anyone else here preparing for some power outages?

Ordered my gen. subpanel last year during Sandy the eletrical supply I use never lost power I did for 10 days. Had to wait 3 months to get the one I wanted use up to 20000 watt gen. They had palets of the smallers ones. Got it installed in the spring.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I have a similar set up. I almost want the power to go out just to use it.

Pull the main and go from there.  Test before you need it.

Same here!! Already lost power for about 30 minutes during the afternoon storm. Gennie bought and transfer switch installed and gas stored in 5 5 gallon cans...

Stabilize the fuel. I use Startron and high test. Never a problem.  Keep fuel bowl empty till you need to use it.

Mine has been tested. I can run my entire house with every light turned on and only use half the power on a honda 5000. I have my heater and hot water heater hooked up. All the rooms in the house but two have power. I also have a nice collection of gas cans.

We've got a Kohler standby that is...standing-by...for the next hurricane. We are rather self sufficient so the generator is there just for two sump pumps, fridge, and some lights. Also have a portable Honda generator as back up and tons of 5 gallon gas cans.

Mine has been tested. I can run my entire house with every light turned on and only use half the power on a honda 5000. I have my heater and hot water heater hooked up. All the rooms in the house but two have power. I also have a nice collection of gas cans.

Nice!

As I was reading this thread, the light by my computer went off, my computer UPC beeped for awhile and the light came back on.  I walked downstairs and could hear the generator outside humming on natural gas.  I think I am ready.

testing out my new setup this year and no more extension cords all over the house.  finally got to install my interlocking switch and exterior inlet.  as long as the gas stations do not run out of gas we should be ok hehe.

bOd2OnY.jpg

anyone else here preparing for some power outages?

Don't depend on gas stations. Remember what happened after Sandy... store your own gas, use a stabilizer and use it out every 6 months in your car. I keep 30 gallons spare in a detached shed, enough for a couple of weeks at 4-5 hours usage per day. 

Don't depend on gas stations. Remember what happened after Sandy... store your own gas, use a stabilizer and use it out every 6 months in your car. I keep 30 gallons spare in a detached shed, enough for a couple of weeks at 4-5 hours usage per day. 

You are correct...

We have a portable generator.  I plug-connected the power line to our oil fired heater and well pump a couple of years ago. I do not have a transfer switch but I can unplug both from the receptacle and plug them into the generator instead.  An extension cord and we've got lights too.  We were only out a few days with Sandy but just having running water and heat made it much more bearable. 

For gas, I keep 5 gal in the generator and have 3 more 5 gallon containers.  I rotate gas into my mower all summer just like we rotate food in the pantry.  I can go 3 days on 20 gallons of gas if I'm careful.  After Sandy, we now fuel up the cars if there is a threat of a storm so I could siphon another 40 gallons if we got desperate. 

Remember, a lot of portable gasoline equipment ends up in the repair shop because gas sat in the carburetor bowl for too long and evaporated leaving "varnish".  The carburetor gets gummed up, plugged up, and the float won't move freely.  Run your carburetors dry when the season is over.  Turn off the fuel petcock and run the generator until it stalls. 

I put some solar panels on my shed to optima batteries and 110 converter. Can run anything I need on it also got a generator wound up loaning if out last year only lost power for 8 hours

Was debating on doing the same in my shed.

I put some solar panels on my shed to optima batteries and 110 converter. Can run anything I need on it also got a generator wound up loaning if out last year only lost power for 8 hours

How tough are solar panels? I'd worry they could be damaged in something like a hurricane.

How tough are solar panels? I'd worry they could be damaged in something like a hurricane.

ANYTHING could potentially be damaged in a hurricane.  There are thin film flexible solar panels on the market.  IMO solar PV isn't quite efficient enough YET to make financial sense as a normal day to day power source.  As a backup, I'd be worried about battery capacity and life.

I have tried this without success. Seems like a lot of cars make it difficult to siphon gas from them. 

Most have a check ball and some have a screen.  The check ball prevents a leak in a roll over and the screen prevents debris and siphoning.   If you have a small tube, like 1/4", you can possibly get it in some vehicles.   Most will be impossible without puncturing the tank itself(or taking the filler hose off, or pumping it out with the fuel pump)