Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

NJ Non-resident FID?

Now that I swapped my NJ drivers lic for Florida drivers lic. I assume I need to convert my Resident FID to a Non-resident FID.

I will be maintaining my home in NJ and spend several months per year here so I will be a dual resident if that has any bearing.

Do I need to switch my FID to a non-resident even though I will maintain my current home in NJ where my firearms are stored?

Assuming I need to get a non resident FID can I file for a simple address change with my local PD?

Or

Do I need to file a non resident application with the NJ state police as if it was a new card being issued?

I handed in a change of address request to my local PD last week but the Firearm officer is on vacation until next Wednesday.

I won't be able to get any clarification from them until he returns. The desk clerk had no clue if a change of address was the correct course of action for me.

Also, I still have my FID as of now. Do they take it from you while the address change is being processed? Should I plan on being without a FID unable to purchase ammo while this get sorted out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated... If I need to file with the state police I do not want to wait a week or two until my local PD get back to me...

IMO, I would keep the address the same and not do a thing if you still are going to have the home in NJ. You may lawfully purchase firearms from a NJ dealer with an out of state DL and another government ID (tax bill) that has the NJ address on it. You may even then purchase handguns if you want.

4473:

When purchasing firearms in NJ from a dealer, #2 should be your NJ address, #13 should be NJ, #20a should be your current DL state and number, and #20b should be your NJ Tax Bill.

ETA: You stated you did a change of address form with your local PD. You may have just screwed the above.

I think you right... I may have to ask for it back...

I just so happens then NJ state police just returned my call from last week and advised the same...

He said to leave the NJ FID as is as long as I maintain a home in NJ... He then advised me to get a NJ non driver ID with my NJ address to use to purchase firearms in NJ. He also said I can purchase Pistols in Florida with my FL drivers lic and bring them home to NJ as long as they are NJ legal. That was a surprise.

I really like the idea of getting a NJ non drive ID. I was worried about flying out of a NY/NJ airport with a firearm and a Florida drivers lic. It would look as if I came from FL with the gun and was returning home..

I think you right... I may have to ask for it back...

I just so happens then NJ state police just returned my call from last week and advised the same...

He said to leave the NJ FID as is as long as I maintain a home in NJ... He then advised me to get a NJ non driver ID with my NJ address to use to purchase firearms in NJ. He also said I can purchase Pistols in Florida with my FL drivers lic and bring them home to NJ as long as they are NJ legal. That was a surprise.

I really like the idea of getting a NJ non drive ID. I was worried about flying out of a NY/NJ airport with a firearm and a Florida drivers lic. It would look as if I came from FL with the gun and was returning home..

I'm surprised they'd permit you to have a "Non driver ID" if you have a DL in another state. Do you mean the "State ID" that is issued by the "Motor Vehicle Commission?"  The one that people get when they want a State ID but don't drive?  I would have thought you can only get a State ID or Driver's License in your "primary domicile" state.... and that if one attempts to get more than one, it "catches up" with them, eventually... :dontknow:

Why do you need the NJ card at all? If you're only spending a few months here -- is it the weather, the glorious refinery smells, or the even more pungent politics -- and you have a Florida license, you are officially a Florida resident, no? You won't be able to buy handguns here, but you should be able to transport anything you like here provided you have a home; your second residence should qualify as an exemption. If you feel the urge to buy another long gun you can always wait until you're back home or drive across the Delaware.

I need the NJ FID to buy ammo in NJ.

State Police advised me to get a NJ non driver ID to complement my FL Drivers lic.. I did not think that was allowed either... Guess I'll find out when I go to DMV.. I'll post back the outcome... Any know for sure?

County ID's are also available, you should look into that as well If our lovely DMV gives you a hard time. Or possibly get a boat license in NJ, for that you would need to attend an 8 hour boating safety course.

Does the boater lic look like a drivers lic with photo and such or is it a paper printout? Also do you run the class? I recall someone mentioning they were an instructor.

Does the boater lic look like a drivers lic with photo and such or is it a paper printout? Also do you run the class? I recall someone mentioning they were an instructor.

yes it looks identical to a driver's license except instead of saying "auto" it says "boat". Yes Captain Greg my buddy gives the class. He will give a private course at your home if you wish, (normally he has a 4 person minimum for a private class, similar to your classes) or you could attend one of the organized courses he gives throughout the state. I can PM you his number if your interested. I believe he is out at sea this week but then he has a week off at home when he usually teaches the class for Coast Boating school and the Coast Guard.

yes it looks identical to a driver's license except instead of saying "auto" it says "boat". Yes Captain Greg my buddy gives the class. He will give a private course at your home if you wish, (normally he has a 4 person minimum for a private class, similar to your classes) or you could attend one of the organized courses he gives throughout the state. I can PM you his number if your interested. I believe he is out at sea this week but then he has a week off at home when he usually teaches the class for Coast Boating school and the Coast Guard.

If I can't get the Non-driver ID that may be the way to go... Thanks..

Hmmm. Are you able to acquire a NJ ID Card from the state? That might be a challenge, as the MVC will see that you have a FLDL.

Another question........The online NICS system only has provisions for entering a DL and SBI numbers and nothing else. I suppose a NJ non driver or boat MVC ID would work, but how you would do a NICS check with a FL DL and a NJ government  issued bill, I don't know

DMV will NOT issue me a Non-Driver ID... I asked if they would be able to give me a Boating Lic... 40 minutes later they decided that if I show them a property Tax bill showing I OWN a home here they would do it. A utility bill was not sufficient... If I lived in a NJ boarder state they were much more sure it would not be an issue... But Florida was soooooo far away...

A 6 hour drive from Albany is fine but a 2 hours flight from Florida raised concern. I think they were flying by the seat if there pants.... If I came back with my boater safety card and a utility bill as part of my 6 points of I could get a boat lic as long as I was willing to argue.... Just easier to bring the tax bill like they want.

Why are you wanting a NJ ID? Is it appease the uninformed and/or skeptical? Do you have a passport? Did you do a change of address with the USPS?

Perhaps he wishes to still be able to drive-around with a long gun unloaded in the vehicle, while he does daily errands while in NJ?  Or he wants to be able to reasonably deviate with long guns in his vehicle (buy food, stop at a diner with his fellow sportsmen, etc.)?  Buying pistol ammo in Nj is merely ONE consideration for wanting a NJFID.....

NJ State Police advise I get a state issued ID to go with my FPID. They suggested I get the non driver ID but guess they did not know it was not allowed. I asked about using my vehicle registration but he poo poo'ed... I need something to prove I am an NJ resident to go along with the Resident FPID I have...

I have a passport but it does not list my address.

Did you click and read the links in my previous post? A passport and Tax Bill is all you need to legally buy firearms in NJ. Of course, you will be hard pressed to find a NJ dealer who knows what he is doing. :laugh: No offense guys.

I did but I also want something easy to put in a wallet should I get stopped while transporting a pistol.

A Florida lic and NJ resident FOID looks suspicious...

I know I don't need it but I would prefer to be on my way as soon as possible and not work it all out down at the station...

So I tried to purchase a rifle at Ramsey Outdoors and they had a conniption when I mentioned dual-resident. They acted like I was a terrorist trying to purchase a firearm in NJ with a Florida DL.( plus proof of NJ residency like Tax Bill, utility bill, ect). I called a few other FFL's and they were not reassuring saying they could do it either...

So I followed the advise given here. I got my NJ Boating Lic. That was an ordeal in itself at DMV.. At one point they wanted to put my FL address on it defeating the purpose. After 45 minutes at the Drivers License window the manager called the main office and found out I can choose whatever address I want... They wanted to make sure I had my vehicle registered in NJ.. (Like that should matter).. Next was 30 minutes trying to get the computer to accept it... I am literally the first one like this they have done in this office...

The boat license used my old NJ drivers license number. So it think NICS should process it just fine.

My question is do I even need to mention that I have a Florida Drivers Lic and am only a part time resident in NJ?

11bbfc97a6dc98c622a1bcaecb15e888.jpg

I would just hand them the boat license, not even mention Florida. If they ask "why you don't have a vehicle drivers license from NJ", tell them driving cars is against your religious beliefs. But Noah had an arc God told him to build so boats are ok! B)

I stopped over at G&S Hunters in Paramus and showed him my boat lic... He called Debbie the captain in charge of NJ NICS and explain what ID I had and that I was a dual resident she gave him the ok so he was the. Fine with doing a transfer form me.. Looks like I am good to go... I have him trying to locate a Tavor B16L (left hand) for me... Thanks for everyone's help and input...

I would just hand them the boat license, not even mention Florida. If they ask "why you don't have a vehicle drivers license from NJ", tell them driving cars is against your religious beliefs. But Noah had an arc God told him to build so boats are ok! B)

LMFAO