awynne56

sending rifle back to manufacturer

Hi all, been searching and can't find if there would be a problem bringing my rifle to ups to send it back or do I have to go to a ffl? The company said it was ok and sent me a ups return label.. just want to make sure and if there was a specific protocol i had to follow with all these crazy laws

Thanks

Andy

I've sent a pistol back thru FedEx with no issues at all.  I just made sure I had everything taped and sealed up before heading down to drop it off.  If the company sent you a pre-paid shipping label, even better.

So I have to tell ups that I'm send a rifle, pizza bob?

Yes. It gets special handling. If you don't declare it and it goes missing, they have grounds to deny your claim.

Where does it say it's legal to transport a pistol to ups or fedex location? I don't recall them being one of the transportation exemptions.

My defense would be it's being shipped for repair. I've never heard of anyone in 45 years of shooting being arrested taking a handgun or long gun packaged to send for repair.

Don't worry so much.

My defense would be it's being shipped for repair. I've never heard of anyone in 45 years of shooting being arrested taking a handgun or long gun packaged to send for repair.

Don't worry so much.

completely agree - pointing out how the law is just so poorly written.

UPS says to send guns overnight, dont waste your money its not a law just a ups rule. when i send my guns to the manufacturer i send it ups ground and dont tell anyone whats in it just send like a regular package

UPS says to send guns overnight, dont waste your money its not a law just a ups rule. when i send my guns to the manufacturer i send it ups ground and dont tell anyone whats in it just send like a regular package

Correct - not a law. But the shipper requires they be sent overnight - less time in the system, less exposure to theft. If you send it ground, by not declaring or misrepresenting the contents, and it goes missing, you are SOL. Maybe I just value my property more than you, but I wouldn't want to take the hit.

With long guns you can save some money by shipping via USPS - again you have to declare, but it is considerably cheaper.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You are required by law to declare to the common carrier the package contains a firearm.