maintenanceguy

"Apply to be Denied" - meeting agenda

Final Meeting Details Can Be Found Here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/75791-apply-to-be-denied-where-to-meet/?p=959931

Note that there are some changes. 

Original Post ------------------------------------

Newtonian has pointed out that we need an agenda.  He's right.  Without one, we'll never get anything done..    Let's write one here.   I'll start with my suggestions.   Ask to have stuff removed from this list that you don't like or ask to have stuff added that you do like.  If a few people seem to agree on something, I'll make the change in this original post.  So be sure to post to support or argue against each other's suggestions. 

This Agenda post is connected to the original post where everyone is RSVP'ing for the meeting and the post where we're trying to decide where to meet.

Restore our Right-To-Carry – Lunch Meeting

Saturday, March 28th  12:00 noon

Somewhere in Central NJ - TBD

Proposed Agenda

Housekeeping Items

• Find a volunteer to act as recording secretary  for this meeting.
    • No need to record who said what
    • Only need to write down:
      • Any action items and who will complete them.
      • The various lists we generate (questions for attorney, possible next  steps, etc)
      • Copy of parking lot (see note at bottom of post)
    • Secretary will provide minutes to everyone via email after the meeting.
  • Choose someone to write down “parking lot” items on a flip chart – see note at end about the parking lot.
  • Pass a sign in sheet – names, usernames, towns, emails.  Everyone gets a copy of this list later so we can communicate with each other after the meeting.
  • How do we communicate later – create a facebook page, google groups, email?

Meeting Agenda

• “Apply to be Denied” – is it a viable plan that we can support?
    • Quick discussion – we’ve already discussed this ad nauseam online
    • Quick vote – pursue this or not? 
  • What’s the final goal?   - Start with the end in mind.
    • Sue the state?
    • Just prove that NJ really does deny rights?
    • Something else?
  • Questions for an attorney
    • Write down our list of questions.
  • How do we raise funds to hire an attorney?
  • Which attorney?
  • Possible next steps – collect everyone’s ideas for next steps.  We can’t decide on specifics until after we talk to an attorney but let’s brainstorm for a few minutes anyway.
  • Do we need to choose a leadership team?  Project managers?  -If so, Who?
  • Assign all “action items” to someone in the group and set completion dates.
  • Review the “Parking Lot”

What is a Parking Lot? - In meetings, keeping a list we call the "parking lot" is a fairly standard practice. I've done it a lot and it really helps to keep a meeting on task while making sure we don't miss anything important. As the discussion unfolds, we "park" items that come up that aren't on the agenda, but which we believe could be important someday soon. The parking lot should be visible to prevent duplication – a flip chart works.  For larger groups, someone should be assigned to record parking lot items.   These get reviewed at the end of the meeting.   Often, most of the parking lot items will already be settled by that point.

Reach out to SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) to see if they have any support/advice, since they've already pledged support to Mr. Almeida's case.

I recently paid to become an SAF member - I'll be happy to write some emails.

Another point to consider - anyone who has any criminal history, domestic violence or mental health issues that would prevent them from getting a FID or Pistol Purchase Permit in NJ should recuse themselves from this group.  It will be detrimental to the effort to give the state any argument in saying "well look, X% of those that applied for CCW have red flags in their background checks".

1. I have emailed Scott Bach. He usually responds promptly to my messages. I've offered to pay him for time spent above and beyond what he owes me through ANJRPC. I basically asked him if this idea was viable, and what the follow-on legal maneuverings might be. I'm hoping he'll volunteer to spend 15-30 minutes with one of us on the phone and not charge :)

2. I volunteer to type as fast as my fingers can go. Problem is I don't have a laptop with a full-sized screen. If someone can bring one I'll try to remember to bring a full-sized keyboard, which I'll also need.