tuktuk

Semi-auto for HD

some people might, I think most will use a pump just because they are stupid simple. auto loaders have more moving parts, more things to break, more things that MIGHT go wrong when you need it most.

when I think home defense, I think pump shotgun, revolver, and a quality proven semi auto pistol.

• Like 1

the sound of a pump shotgun is almost as good a deterrent as firing a round off..

Not to derail this thread, but a crackhead on a 3 day crack binge won't give an eff what sound he hears. But 12 gauge is the caliber for HD, and as long as the shotgun works run it.

• Like 1

I would have to put a LOT of rounds thru a semi with many different types of loads before I would trust it for HD use. Some of the newer semis certainly appear to be very reliable out of the box, so I think we're slowly getting to the point where semis will be almost as reliable as pumps.

That said, a 930 is on my short list of guns to buy.

Not to derail this thread, but a crackhead on a 3 day crack binge won't give an eff what sound he hears. But 12 gauge is the caliber for HD, and as long as the shotgun works run it.

This. It would be INCREDIBLY stupid to step into a potential altercation without a round/shell chambered. What if you hear one bad guy, go to confront him, and there's a second one in the house you didn't hear? Don't be stupid. Be ready to rock and roll as soon as you know something's wrong.

kind of moot for NJ.. but just saying..

Sagia 12 Gauge Shotgun (flat black)

• Magpul CTR Adjustable Stock
  • CSS AR Buffer Tube
  • CSS Internal Block
  • ACE Pignose Adapter
  • Tromix Fire Control Group
  • CSS Trigger Guard
  • Hogue Pistol Grip
  • HK Sights (welded on)
  • Promag Drum (12 rounds)
  • Kvar Hand Guard
  • Kvar Retainer
  • Arsenal Rail (shaved shortened refinished)
  • Vltor Quick Release Flashlight Mount
  • Surefire G2 Light

saiga12finalvlad1.jpg

More Pictures

*disclaimer - this gun is NOT in NJ..

This being NJ a pump buys you a few things that you can't have on a semi like more shells (ie 10+1 extensions), pistol grip etc. And it's a lot less likely to have any problems (not that nowadays a well maitained semi is likely to have any issues).

Although I'll agree that a pump is less likely to have a mechanical issue, we should also take into consideration that using a semi-auto will result in smaller chance of user error. You don't need to worry about short stroking under pressure, as the shotgun cycles itself. You've also got less recoil for quicker follow-up shots. Then again we're talking about a 12ga, you might not even need that second shot ;)

• Like 1

For most users, I would think a semi-automatic would have the edge, although it would be more costly. If you practice with your 12 gauge pump (with your defensive rounds) and you are happy with it, then it would be the tool for you, especially in NJ, as pointed out earlier. But, for someone that doesn't practice too much with the gun, then a semi-automatic might be a good bet. As was additionally pointed out earlier, a semi-automatic would be easier to manipulate and use, it would have less recoil because the action would absorb some of the kick, and you would not have the problem of short-pumping the action and jamming the gun. You would, however, need to make sure you had shells that, probably not low recoil, that would work the action every time, and you would need to keep the gun clean. But, I don't think that that would be a problem for your home defense gun. In the field, I would probably rather have a pump for that reason, but at home, it would be clean in the closet/safe/ under the bed, etc.

I also think that a 20 gauge is also quite acceptable, especially if someone with lesser physical capabilities is using it, such as elderly, etc.

Would I just have a 20 gauge... NO. Would I just have a semi-automatic... NO. But, if I had a fine sample of 12 gauge pump (which I would get first for versatility, etc. and because I know how to use it)... I would still consider a 20 gauge semi-automatic with a short barrel for home defense. And, if you could get a tritium bead that wasn't visable to your opponent, so much the better. And, for legal jeapardy, you might not want it to be tacticool.

I really like the Mossberg SA-20 Tactical, though, and may pick one up. For about 55% of the recoil, i could have something that provided 75% of the lead and it would be more easier to control and I would have the ability to have some pretty fast backup shots. A Saiga 20 would also be a good idea if I didn't live in NJ.

Have you guys ever tried moving quickly through your house with a shotgun?

Yes I practice when I'm home alone,lights off w/ hand held light. I also do it with my hand guns. Good to practice and know Ur home layout you want to be able to.navigate in the dark only using your light to identify a threat.

• Like 1

Yes I practice when I'm home alone,lights off w/e hand held light. I also do it with my hand guns. Godfather practice and know Ur home layout you want to be able to.navigate in the dark only using your light to identify a threat.

And you find the shotgun to be more mobile then a handgun or a carbine?

This. It would be INCREDIBLY stupid to step into a potential altercation without a round/shell chambered. What if you hear one bad guy, go to confront him, and there's a second one in the house you didn't hear? Don't be stupid. Be ready to rock and roll as soon as you know something's wrong.

You use the cycling of the pump action as a deterrent right off the bat. What if's? What is there are 12 people in the house and you only have 5 shells? What if they see/hear you comming and take up defensive positions around your couch. My point is there are a million what ifs, that can be played out in someones head.

You already have a tacticool advantage because its your house. If you are sweeping a house for threats you go by all your senses. You may "hear" something but you have to identify that threat. What if you only have one bad guy and the other person is your friend/son or daughters signifigant other just dropping by?

Whether you use a pump, semi, single or double just know how to use it.

I agree with this. You would be suprised how effective this noise can be.

Yes, I would be surprised because I think that it is a myth that a clicking sound makes a burglar/intruder run off. Before they enter a house, either they care to confront the home owner or they don't. Those that don't wish to confront anyone will flee at _ANY_ sound and to those that don't care they won't think to themselves "OMG, This guy has a shotgun, if it were just a .357, I wouldn't care, but a shotgun, OMG, I might die".

• Like 1

And you find the shotgun to be more mobile then a handgun or a carbine?

Shotgun or handgun would be better suited for the most part in NJ. A carbine in .223 or .308 probably would not be the best thing to use in this highly populated state, unless you have some distance between houses.

Shotgun or handgun would be better suited for the most part in NJ. A carbine in .223 or .308 probably would not be the best thing to use in this highly populated state, unless you have some distance between houses.

Hmm .. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot14.htm

Rifle or shotgun, 4 walls or more are no impediment, they both penetrate far more then you want. On one hand the rifle bullet is pretty much a single small piece that might fragment to uselessness. On the other hand the buckshot is 9 large pieces that keep spreading and spreading and spreading. In a highly populated area do you want one flying item overpenetrating or 9 flying items overpentrating in a growing cone?

• Like 1

Different ammo reacts differently. If you engage your threat with a shotgun or handgun more likely than not those rounds will stop with the flesh and organs or bone. Hit them with a rifle round within 10 yards or less traveling 2800FPS with a maximum range of 4800 yards, chances are you have a greater chance of over penetration. I have seen these test where a rifle round when through 4 wall boards and hit an impact berm 100 yards away. Im not telling people what to use or not to use. I'm not using a rifle in a highly populated area for home defense.

If your a member to a out door range that let's you shoot what ever you want at what ever u want, build a wall and shoot at it at the same distance. See happens, for some type of body use a water high filled with foam peanuts, for intended purpose it should work

That says .223 goes through walls, which of course it does, I hear water is wet, let me see if I can find a government study on that. It does not compare it to shotguns, which is the question at hand.

If your a member to a out door range that let's you shoot what ever you want at what ever u want, build a wall and shoot at it at the same distance. See happens, for some type of body use a water high filled with foam peanuts, for intended purpose it should work

Sorry foam peanuts in water are not a test medium suitable for balisitcs testing. Additionally with .223/5.56 you have ammo selection option which can control overpentration, with buckshot not so much. Before we derail this further read DocKGR's take here

But as I said, use whatever you can use best.

• Like 1

Admittedly I haven't read every comment in this thread, the BS is just too painful.

#1 Did you guys ever hear about making the first shot count?

#2 Have any of you ever fired any weapon in the house without ear protection?

:wild:

Where are you LE guys to wise these folks up?

BTW I've fired as large as a 12ga in a confined space. Believe me it wont be "the shootout at the OK corral"